Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 26

This week I was going through my time capsule box and I ran across this old photo of Grammy and Papaw.  I have always loved the story of their romance.  
Papaw had been serving in the Navy. The soldiers had returned home and were all going to the local high school.  Another sailor was in the hallway and saw my Grammy.  He caught her and scooped her up, took her into the classroom where Papaw was and sat her down in Papaw's lap. He said, "Look what I found!  Here, you can have this one!"  Papaw asked her out. 
Grammy's father was very strict. He didn't want her to have a serious boyfriend so he would not allow her to see a boy more than three times.  He felt that more than three dates was too serious. They carefully spread their three dates out.  On their third "date" they got married. They were married for almost three months by the time of their graduation. 

1 comment:

  1. What a cool, sweet story. So did they keep the marriage a secret until graduation?

    ReplyDelete